photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

May 7, 2012

Review: Cold Kiss by Amy Garvey

Cold Kiss
When her boyfriend, Danny, is killed in a car accident, Wren can’t imagine living without him. Wild with grief, she uses the untamed powers she’s inherited to bring him back. But the Danny who returns is just a shell of the boy she once loved.
Wren has spent four months keeping Danny hidden, while her life slowly unravels around her. Then Gabriel DeMarnes transfers to her school and somehow, inexplicably, he can sense her secret. Wren finds herself drawn to Gabriel, who is so much more alive than the ghost of the boy she loved. But Wren can’t turn her back on Danny or the choice she made for him—and she realizes she must find a way to make things right, even if it means breaking her own heart.

What if the love of your life died and you could find a way to bring him back? Would you do it? Would you take into account the consequences it could bring? For both you and him? Wren definitely brought back Danny, the guy she swore was the love of her life, but missed the part where she took into account the consequences of her actions.

When I first started this book I went into it with something completely different in mind from what it really turned out to be. I thought this was going to be about a necromancer who brought back her dead boyfriend but it is about so much more. Wren doesn't only have the power to bring back the dead, she is a sort of witch. There is a power within her that allows her to levitate, and do a lot of other types of magic. She actually even uses spell books. So now that that has been cleared up, I really enjoyed this book. It was a very quick read and I finished it in a day.

The characters weren't the most engaging but somehow still managed to catch my heart. I felt for Wren. Wren was very selfish but during the book she understands that what she did was very wrong. The decisions she made were wrong most of the time but she had so much going on in her life. And Wren has no one to guide her since her mom is basically in denial about their powers. She refuses to talk to her daughters about them at all. That being the case, Wren admits from the beginning that she made wrong choices and has to fix them on her own. Moving on to the zombie boyfriend, Danny. If you guys follow my blog for a while you guys will notice that I am completely zombie crazy. I love anything zombie and usually they don't really scare me. But I have to admit that Amy Garvey created a scenario where I was actually creeped out by Danny. He is the kind of zombie created with a sort of voodoo magic and can then be controlled by the creator or the person that raised him. Things like that are actually said to happen in places like Haiti so that concept had me reading his parts with the lights on and during the day.

There was one part of this book that I had a hard time with. Fairly soon in the book we  meet Gabriel. A mysterious boy fascinated by Wren and her powers. I really liked his character. He was mysterious but sweet and caring. And that was the problem. Gabriel was so caring and attached to Wren and she treated him so awful at times. I just wanted to crawl into the book and take him away from her during those hateful flashes. That was the only thing I didn't like in this book so I will be looking forward to the sequel. I thought it was a standalone because it can stand on it's own and had a very conclusive ending but who can say no to a sequel, especially when the cover looks like this:

 Glass Heart

Isn't that beautiful?
4/5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment