photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

May 3, 2012

Review: Pandemonium by Lauren Oliver

Pandemonium (Delirium, #2)
I'm pushing aside the memory of my nightmare, pushing aside thoughts of Alex, pushing aside thoughts of Hana and my old school, push, push, push, like Raven taught me to do.The old life is dead.But the old Lena is dead too.I buried her.I left her beyond a fence,behind a wall of smoke and flame.

*will contain spoilers if you haven't read Delirium yet*

This book picks up right where Delirium left us hanging. Right after Lena and Alex attempt their escape from Portland. The only thing is that Alex doesn't exactly make it over the fence. Lena is out in the Wild on her own with no one to guide her. The one thing that keeps her going is her denial that Alex is gone. She wants to believe that he is there, that he will make everything right.

Pandemonium was so well crafted. I loved the writing. The story is told in alternating time periods. There is the Then, which is Lena's time in the Wild, and the Now, which is a few months later. I enjoyed this book, and the characters in it, even more than I enjoyed Delirium. Delirium gives you this whole new world and these emotions but Pandemonium actually lets you explore more of this world. The reader gets to see how the world works on the other side of the fence, from the invalids perspective. A lot of information is revealed about how the people who live in the Wild and how they have managed to survive out there all these years.

Lauren Oliver also gives us a whole selection of new characters that each have such different personalities and does a great job with them. Raven tries to be so strong for everyone while Tac is quiet and serious. Then we meet Julian and what a great addition. I thought it was interesting to see Lena being on the other side and Julian being the one who wanted to be cured. I loved getting to see how the roles were switched and how Lena dealt with all the issues Alex had to go through when she was afraid to love. 

And then there's the ending. Three pages away from the end I felt my heart being torn. I didn't know I could feel so many emotions and I could not focus on anything else for days after finishing it.

Overall this was definitely my favorite out of the two books and could possibly be one of my favorite books of the year. There is a lot more action in Pandemonium and the revolution against the government really takes off. If you had any doubts as to whether you were going to be picking this one up I hope that they are gone because this was a great read. 

5/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment