photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

June 12, 2012

Review: The Alchemy of Forever by Avery Williams

The Alchemy of Forever (Incarnation, #1)
Seraphina has been alive since the 1300's, made immortal when the boy she was beginning to love back then, Cyrus, saved her from death with a strange liquid - a method of alchemy that lets them swap bodies with any human being. But now, in modern day America, Sera has decided that she can no longer bear the weight of stealing people's lives so she can keep living on. So she decides to run away from Cyrus and end her stolen existence once and for all. Her plan goes awry when she accidentally takes the body of a dying teenager and feels forced to take over her life. When the lines between Sera and Kailey's identity begin to blur, Sera finds a reason to desire to live once more. But she can't shake the guilt of having taken Kailey's life, even if she was dying. And what if Cyrus finds her?
This is the kind of book that you pick up and devour in one sitting.  The idea of alchemy being used to create immortals had me hooked from the very beginning. It's something that I have yet to read a lot about in young adult and was really taken by surprise.

When Seraphina dies in the arms of Cyrus he decides it is time to put his father's studies to use and uses an alchemy potion to transfer her soul into a different body. Through out all the years that Sera and Cyrus have been together they have been switching bodies in order to stay alive. Sera has never been in the body of someone so young since she switched out of her own 13 year old body. So when she accidentally lands in the body of a 16 year old, what is she supposed to do? The girls Sera is used to taking over are usually alone in the world but this time there are friends and a very loving and caring family watching her every move.

Sera tries to blend in and figure out how teens this day act since she never really got to be a teenager. I loved seeing her attempts at fitting in. I know I would never be able to take someone's place. I would be so lost, panic and would most likely blow my cover. But Sera picked up her new life quickly and learned to fit in. And throughout the story you can tell that she puts those around her before herself. She will do anything to protect the new family and friends that have been given to her.

If you are looking for a great (in an evil way of course) villain, Cyrus is the one. Cyrus is such a manipulative, restrictive and selfish character. In his mind all that matters is that he isn't left alone. Sera needs to be by his side for the rest of eternity and that is that. When Sera decides to leave him I was at the edge of my seat, rooting for her all the way. Of course Cyrus isn't going to sit back and watch her leave, and that is where the action begins.

The writing in this book was amazing. It is almost magical the way the story is told. I was sucked into this incredible story and found myself completely in love with the way Avery Williams wrote it. The language was fantastic. The ending was so devastating and I just need to know what's going to happen next! If you are looking for a great reincarnation story I suggest you pick this one. It's fast paced and will have you wanting more.

5/5 stars

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you loved it. It always helps to have a villian. I haven't read this one yet, but I need to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Amy @ Books, College, and Other Random Things
    I love books with villains and this one was great. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this way back in January and still haven't had a chance to read it yet. I think I need to bump it up on my list a little bit!

    ReplyDelete