photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

April 11, 2013

Review: Boundless by Cynthia Hand

This is the final book in the Unearthly trilogy. If you haven't read the first two books, the summary might have some spoilers but you can read my reviews for Unearthly or Hallowed.
Boundless (Unearthly, #3)
The past few years have held more surprises than part-angel Clara Gardner could ever have anticipated. Yet from the dizzying highs of first love, to the agonizing low of losing someone close to her, the one thing she can no longer deny is that she was never meant to live a normal life.
Since discovering the special role she plays among the other angel-bloods, Clara has been determined to protect Tucker Avery from the evil that follows her . . . even if it means breaking both their hearts. Leaving town seems like the best option, so she’s headed back to California - and so is Christian Prescott, the irresistible boy from the vision that started her on this journey in the first place.
As Clara makes her way in a world that is frighteningly new, she discovers that the fallen angel who attacked her is watching her every move. And he’s not the only one. . . . With the battle against the Black Wings looming, Clara knows she must finally fulfill her destiny. But it won’t come without sacrifices and betrayal.
In the riveting finale of the Unearthly series, Clara must decide her fate once and for all.


We can all say that we've been waiting for Boundless since Hallowed came out. I know it was in my top most anticipated books of 2013. So as soon as I could, I put a hold on it from the library (because I've been trying to buy less books) and read it in a day. Cynthia Hand just has a way to grab you with her writing.

Unlike the disappointment felt with other series, this is a good last book and Cynthia Hand does a great job making us fall more in love with all her characters. There was more action in this book than in the others so if you thought the others were lacking, you'll be pleased with Boundless. More villains rise up and one of our favorite villains comes through in a surprising way.  Definitely lots of plot twists that I wasn't expecting.

Angela plays a huge role in this last book, we finally find out who the man in grey is, that she's been seeing in her visions since she was a child. Since her story line is so important for this book, I recommend reading the short novella, Radiant, so you can be all caught up on what's happening in her life. It's not necessary but I found it nice to know some of her back story. Jeffrey, Clara's brother, goes through more ups and downs, but the reader gets to see him on his own and making his own decisions, not being hidden underneath Clara's shadow. Clara herself has to make many tough decisions, mainly on her own but Christian is always there to back her up when she needs it.

Let's be honest. We were all dying to read this book mostly because we wanted to know who Clara stays with. WELL I OBVIOUSLY WON'T BE TELLING YOU. You'll just have to read it for yourself. What I can say is that both Christian and Tucker play important roles in Boundless but I did wish Tucker had a bigger presence throughout. We see a lot from Christian and we get to see how he's matured and turned into a guy we'd all be lucky to marry.

That being said, I, as well as other people I've seen talking on twitter, were upset that the person she doesn't choose has ZERO closure. I know that there isn't always a happy ending, and I don't always need one but in this case...something would have been nice. I also felt there were still some unanswered questions. Maybe not specifically unanswered, but things that I wanted more expansion on.

Obviously, if you've read the other two I recommend that you read this one and if you haven't read Unearthly, get on that. Seriously, you're missing out. It was sad to say goodbye to this fantastic series and I'll miss all the characters but I'm really looking forward to reading anything else Cynthia Hand comes out with. She is now forever on my Authors-I'll-Read-Anything-By list.

Rating: 4.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment