Today Elizabeth Norris (author of Unraveling and Unbreakable) is here to answer a few questions about her writing and her summer! If you haven't checked out her books yet, I suggest you run to the bookstore (right after reading this post of course) and pick up her duology.
1. What's the weirdest thing you've had to research or that's come up when you've did research for Unraveling and Unbreakable?
The coolest aspect of research that I did was that I went to a gun range with several friends and fired a rifle and a handgun. I wanted to know what it would be like to fire a gun since it's something that Janelle knows a lot about. The weird part is that I was super good at it. I hit the bullseye on all of my targets and the guy who worked at the firing range told me I was a natural.
2. I heard that Unraveling and Unbreakable are a duology, do you have anything else planned as far as another young adult series? If you do, do you think you'll keep writing sci-fi?
I'm actually working on my next novel, which is another YA novel. It's set in the present day, but in a world where Prohibition was never repealed, about an eighteen year old girl who is forced into working as a criminal informant to take down the head of a criminal organization despite the fact that she's falling in love with a guy who keeps getting deeper within the organization.
3. If you could be any one of your characters, who would you be? Which one do you relate to most?
I think all of my characters are compilations of myself and people that I know. I relate to pieces and parts of all of them. Janelle is who I wanted to be when I was sixteen--she's tougher and cooler and smarter than who I was but she's definitely who I wanted to be.
4. I love Janelle and how she stands up for the people she cares about. What one characteristic of hers would you like to have?
I love how emotionally tough she is. She's the kind of person that will be able to get herself through anything--whether it's physical pain or heartache or loss. With all of the things that she goes through, I probably would have just laid down and cried before ever getting to the point where I'd save the world. Janelle manages to keep going. No matter what gets thrown at her, she doesn't let anything break her down.
1. It seems like summer always goes by in a flash, what books haven't you gotten to yet, but you still want to read before summer is truly over?
I'm really excited to read Gameboard of the Gods by Richelle Mead and I'm hoping to read Mortal Fire by Elizabeth Knox before the end of the summer too. They're both favorite authors of mine.
2. My summer playlist is always my favorite of the year, what was your summer jam?
"I love it" by Icona Pop. I love how fast paced and fun it is.
3. And of course, we want to know, what book did you read this summer that you would you most highly recommend?
I finished The Darkest Minds by Alexandra Bracken this summer. It's amazing. I had been wanting to read it for a while but I hadn't gotten around to it. One weekend I managed to sit down and start reading and I couldn't stop. I'm so excited for the next book.
Where you can find Elizabeth Norris:
Thank you for stopping by! That shooting range picture is super impressive!
I don't know about you, but I can't wait for what Elizabeth Norris releases next. The concept sounds very interesting.
Must be 13 years of age or older
Giveaway ends Monday, August 12th at midnight
Winner will be announced 8/13/13