photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

August 8, 2014

Discussion: Anticipation Killers


I need to get this off my chest and I thought, what better way than talking to fellow book bloggers. For the past few years I've been noticing a trend on my tbr shelves. I'll add a book to my most anticipated releases, I'll talk about it, think about it, dream about it non-stop and buy it as soon as it's released. That's all wonderful, so you're probably asking what the problem is. The problem is that I don't end up reading them until months or even years pass. I've come up with a few reasons why this might be happening to me:

1. Hype: This happened just last month with Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins. It was my most anticipated book of the YEAR so I obviously went out and bought it the week it was released. But it also turned out to be the Booksplosion book of the month. Even though everyone absolutely adored it, there's now so much hype around it that I'm scared to read it.

2. Expectations (goes hand in hand with hype): Then there are the books where I create these extremely high expectations and once I actually get the book I become scared that they'll never live up to them. This happened with The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater, Dearly Departed by Lia Habel, and Across the Universe by Beth Revis (I still haven't read any of these).

3: Time (More books come out, less time to read them): The amount of books that are released every Tuesday is frankly getting a bit overwhelming. Tiffany and I were just discussing this the other day. Even if we were genuinely interested in every book coming out, there's no way we would have time for all of them. The young adult market is growing every day and I just feel like I can't keep up. I could be missing out on a real gem that might have the potential to become a favorite and this kind of terrifies me.

4. Friends: This one's pretty simple and to the point. A new book is announced that sounds awesome, I talk about it all day to my friends, I buy it, friends want to read it, I'm in the middle of something else, I let them borrow it and then I never see it again until months later.

5. Permanence: Once I read them that's it. Reading a book for the first time is an experience and once it's over you can never get that back. Yes, you can reread the book, but it's never the same as that initial first time you met those characters and experienced that story. I just want to make sure I read the book for the first time at the right time in my life. I'm currently going through this with To All the Boys I've Loved Before [Edit: since writing this post I've read AND ADORED To All the Boys]. It's staring at me from my shelf but once I read it, I know there's no going back. That's it, it's over. I flew through all three of The Summer series books in April and loved them so so so much. I want to pace myself with this one.

Does this happen to anyone else? Am I crazy or do you guys go through these stages? Do you guys have a system to reading your most anticipated books? Do you pace yourself or do you devour them the moment they're in your hands? Let's discuss!

1 comment:

  1. When I get my most anticipated book I try to read it the moment I get it before I put it on the shelves and become to scared. I did it with Ruin & Rising and it worked perfect that way. Also, it gives me less time to get too high expectations :) But I've had this before, especially the hype can be annoying.

    ReplyDelete