photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

March 18, 2015

Review: Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Insurgent (Divergent, #2)Title: Insurgent

Author: Veronica Roth

Publisher: Harper Collins

Release Date: May 1st, 2012

Goodreads Summary:
One choice can transform you-- or it can destroy you. But every choice has consequences, and as unrest surges in the factions all around her, Tris Prior must continue trying to save those she loves--and herself--while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.

Tris's initiation day should have been marked by celebration and victory with her chosen faction; instead, the day ended with unspeakable horrors. War now looms as conflict between the factions and their ideologies grows. And in times of war, sides must be chosen, secrets will emerge, and choices will become even more irrevocable--and even more powerful. Transformed by her own decisions but also by haunting grief and guilt, radical new discoveries, and shifting relationships, Tris must fully embrace her Divergence, even if she does not know what she may lose by doing so.


**I wrote this review about a year ago and just found it in my drafts. With the release of the movie I thought it would be appropriate to post this week**

You know when you're so excited for a book to come out and you even buy it the day of it's release, and then you put it aside for more than a year? Yeah? That was this book for me. So during Bout of Books 9.0 I thought it was about time to dust it off and jump right into it, and I'm glad I did. I was doubtful at first because I hadn't read Divergent in almost two years, but I had no problems with that because once I immersed myself in the world, there was no going back. I was right back into reading about the Factions and the war and the characters (Recaptains also helped out, of course).

There are people that have a lot of issues with this book and I can see why. For one, it's LONG and it seems a bit slow paced compared to Divergent, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. Actually, there were several moments when I couldn't make myself put it down. For such a huge book, I flew through it.

Another thing were the characters. We get to meet up with some characters from before that I wasn't expecting and it was enjoyable. The one character that wasn't enjoyable was Tris. I think this is the book where a main character cries the most. Tris is always crying, sobbing or on the verge of tears. Tris is guilt ridden over the fact that she murdered one of her best friends, and she definitely should be, but there comes a moment where she should pick herself up and try to move on with the consequences. She has so many people willing to put up with her, and she just isn't the strong independent Tris we came to love in Divergent (even though she swears she can and puts her life at risk one too many times). Four is going through some things too. But opposite of Tris, you can see his character developing as he goes through each difficult obstacle in his life. Sometimes it's not the best decision, but he's working through them.

Plot wise, there's a lot happening, but since the book is so huge there are some down moments where it feels like nothing is happening. Insurgent opens up a new window into the different factions. We get to sort of explore the different customs of the factions and how they do the same things in different ways. For me it was a fast paced book but for others it might not be. I suggest you read the first hundred pages to see. I probably wouldn't have stuck with it if I hadn't had 3 free hours between classes to dedicate to the story line. 

That said, I enjoyed this book and am really looking forward to seeing what they do with the movie. I know there were some serious changes made but from the trailers I think the movie still has huge potential.


Rating:
                                                               ★ ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars


1 comment:

  1. Hey Audris.
    I liked the book, yeah. But definietly not as much as I loved Divergent. There were times where I was so bored but in the end, I was happy that I did it! It was such a huge book and I needed some time to get through it because I'm originally German but it was still a book from the Divergent series and still pretty good :)

    Love,
    Lea ♥

    www.fictional-lives.blogspot.de

    ReplyDelete