photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

August 17, 2011

Review: My Life Undecided

My Life UndecidedTitle: My Life Undecided
Author: Jessica Brody
Release Date: June 7, 2011
Format: ARC
Source: macteenbooks
Age Level: Young Adult
My rating:  4.5 of 5 stars
Pages: 320
First sentence: "The sirens are louder than I anticipated"
Publisher: Farrar, Straus and Giroux
Goodreads: 
PLEASE READ THIS! MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT! 

Okay, maybe that was a bit melodramatic, but I’m sorry, I’m feeling a bit melodramatic at the moment.

Here’s the deal. My name is Brooklyn Pierce, I’m fifteen years old, and I am decisionally challenged. Seriously, I can’t remember the last good decision I made. I can remember plenty of crappy ones though. Including that party I threw when my parents were out of town that accidentally burned down a model home. Yeah, not my finest moment, for sure.

But see, that’s why I started a blog. To enlist readers to make my decisions for me. That’s right. I gave up. Threw in the towel. I let someone else be the one to decide which book I read for English. Or whether or not I accepted an invitation to join the debate team from that cute-in-a-dorky-sort-of-way guy who gave me the Heimlich Maneuver in the cafeteria. (Note to self: Chew the melon before swallowing it.) I even let them decide who I dated!

Well, it turns out there are some things in life you simply can’t choose or have chosen for you—like who you fall in love with. And now everything’s more screwed up than ever.

But don’t take my word for it, read the book and decide for yourself. You’ll laugh, you’ll cry, you’ll scream in frustration. Or maybe that’s just me. After all, it’s my life.
 

Review:
When I first got My Life Undecided I thought it was going to be a light and fun read. Now wait, don't get me wrong, it was such a fun read but the main girl has to deal with a set of seriously difficult situations. The book starts off with the main character, Brooklyn, having made another terrible decision in her life. This time she decides that bad decisions must be in her genes. After more rounds of terrible choices one right after the other, she decides to create a blog and leaves ALL of her decisions up to her followers.

Brooklyn has to deal with so many things in the time span that we know her and her character really develops throughout the book. There were times throughout the book where I found her to be incredibly annoying and selfish and became so frustrated with her but in the end it was all necessary. One  character I could not come to terms with was Brooklyn's best friend, Shayne. Ugh...just ugh!! But anywho, my favorite character would have to be Brian, I'm a true sucker for cute nerds :) At first I couldn't decide between the two guys in the book because, to me, they are both great (I mean Hunter and his country accent), but I'm totally team Brian. He is just so sweet and like she says, "cute-in-a-dorky-sort-of-way" *swoon*.

The story line kept me interested the entire time. There is not one dull moment. I literally couldn't put it down (finished it on a 19 hour drive from Arkansas). Jessica did an amazing job keeping the reader hooked. Starts off with an arrest and just picks up speed from there. As you all know, I'm new to blogging so it was cool to go along on Brooklyn's journey of starting her own blog. I don't want to give anything away because this book is just one surprise after the other so you guys should really just go out and get this book, but OMG, incredibly sweet ending. I loved this book and can't wait to read Jessica's other book, The Karma Club.

*I received an ARC so anything I quoted may or may not be in the final copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment