photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

December 12, 2011

Review: Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Half-Blood (Covenant, #1)
The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi-pure-bloods-have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals-well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.



This book...oh this book. From the first line it picks up with a rush. There is no stopping to let you think about what is going on.
"My eyes snapped open as the freakish sixth sense kicked my fight or flight response into overdrive"
Jennifer creates these amazing characters that capture your heart from the moment you meet them. Alex lost her mother and has to live on her own. That is, until the covenant sends Sentinels to find her. Alex is witty and never lets anyone tell her what to do. She is definitely my type of  heroine. There are no rules or boundaries that can keep her from achieving what she wants and I love that.
"'What?' Caleb's mouth dropped open. 'You can sneak out. You were like the queen of sneaking out."
Then there is Aiden...*le sigh*. He is one of the the Sentinel and a pretty awesome one at that. After Alex comes back to the covenant he takes it upon himself to help her catch up on all the training she's missed. This is not good for them. He is a pure and she is a half-blood. Nothing is ever supposed to happen between them but...uhm...we all know that's never going to work. Especially when he comes out and says things like this:
"'You're always so alive, even when you're going through something that would darken the souls of most.' He stopped there, becoming aware of what he'd said. The hollows of his cheeks flushed"
 Seriously? Can anyone blame Alex? I sure can't :) Aiden is just an all around awesome character. He's sweet and dangerous all mixed into one bundle. Then there's Seth...eeeekkkk...he is so funny and sarcastic and witty and I just looooove him. I really hope we get more of him in the next book!!!

Alex also has a best friend, and while I know many young adult books are really slacking in the best friend department, this one is amazing. While I read this I found myself wishing I had a real life Caleb. He is always there for Alex even when it involves risking his own life. Also, he isn't in love with her. I love that because I feel like it is all too common for the best guy friend to be in love with the heroine. That trend needs to stop in young adult books because the best friend always gets his heart crushed. I really hope this doesn't change in this series. My favorite Caleb line (Spoiler!!! I will put it in white. If you want to read it you can highlight the quote):
"'It's okay, all right? Look. What are friends for if they can't share a few hours with psychotic daimons? We can look at it as a bonding experience.'"
On to the plot. The whole thing is one huge whirlwind. There isn't one slow moment and I loved every bit of it.  I really enjoyed the mythology in this book so if you're a fan of books that involve mythology this is the book for you. Also, can I just say...those daimons are scary as hell. Jennifer really worked her magic when creating these awful creatures.
Now, if you haven't read this, go...now...GO I tell you!!! I promise you will not be disappointed :) I just can't believe I have to wait until April, 3 2012 to read the sequel, Pure. I need it now :P

1 comment:

  1. A few months ago I read Daimon, The Prequel to Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout. I was so absolutely fascinated by the world the author created that I could hardly wait to dive into Half-Blood. This book was certainly worth the wait. I read this book as though it were food and I haven't had anything to eat in a week.

    ReplyDelete