photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

October 29, 2012

Review: Frostbite by Richelle Mead


Frostbite (Vampire Academy, #2)Rose loves Dimitri, Dimitri might love Tasha, and Mason would die to be with Rose... 
It’s winter break at St. Vladimir’s, but Rose is feeling anything but festive. A massive Strigoi attack has put the school on high alert, and now the Academy’s crawling with Guardians—including Rose’s hard-hitting mother, Janine Hathaway. And if hand-to-hand combat with her mom wasn’t bad enough, Rose’s tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason’s got a huge crush on her, and Rose keeps getting stuck in Lissa’s head while she’s making out with her boyfriend, Christian! The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy’s not taking any risks... This year, St. Vlad’s annual holiday ski trip is mandatory. 
But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only create the illusion of safety. When three friends run away in an offensive move against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them. But heroism rarely comes without a price...

Continuing with my Vampire Academy adventure, I read the second book in the series, Frostbite. Let me tell you, I am SOOO glad I decided to continue the series. When I read the first one I had my doubts but everyone insisted that the series gets better and they were so right.

Frostbite starts right where Vampire Academy leaves off. Maybe a few weeks have passed and Rose is ready to take a major test to prove she is ready to be a guardian. From there it all picks up. There isn't a dull moment up to the very last page. Someone is killing the Moroi and they want to keep them as secure as possible so they all go on this ski trip. 

In Frostbite we learn more about all the characters. In the first book I didn't really connect to the main characters and while I still haven't fallen completely in love with Dimitri as many of you have, I did being to understand Rose more. She continues to care for her best friend Lissa and would do anything for her. Lissa is beginning to come to terms with her gifts, which is great. She's showing character development and doesn't hide out anymore. But I'm still more in love with the secondary characters. Come on, Christian? Mason? I was drooling for Christian. He is my favorite character, right there after Mason. Mason continues to protect and basically worship Rose in this book. I think we could all use a best friend like him. We also get to meet Adrian in this book...(: let me just say, I get it. I understand why everyone loves him.

The action I was lacking in the first book is slammed into this one. There was just the right amount of action to keep me hooked through the entire book. I was never bored and devoured Frostbite in one day. There were parts that had me clinging to the book with a shocked look on my face and I couldn't bring myself to put the book down. I'm sure the people passing me by as I was reading were wondering what torture I was enduring. If you've read this book, I'm sure you'll know exactly what scene I'm referring to.

I don't want to go into more detail because then I would just spoil it for you. So you should just go out and pick up this series. Take it from someone who was very skeptic about this series even after reading the first book, you will love Frostbite. It has a little bit of everything so no matter what you're into (romance, action, mystery, paranormal, etc.) you'll be sure to enjoy it!

Rating: 5/5 stars

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you continued with this series as well! Vampire Academy is one of my all time favorite series of all time. I liked book one, but it was truly Frostbite that hooked me. That ending -- so sad!!!

    ReplyDelete