photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

February 7, 2013

Monthly Book Club: My Thoughts on The Goddess Test


The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1)EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT'S KATE'S TURN. 

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she succeeds  she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS...


Tiffany chose this book for the first book of our book club. You can check out this post for a little more of an explanation but basically we both have books we've been dying to read but for some reason haven't and this was the choice for January.

Within the first few chapters of the book Kate starts a new school and all of a sudden she runs into two good looking guys in the first ten minutes of her being there. That bothered me because, let's be honest, how often does that happen in real life? But it all makes sense in the end so overall that didn't affect my thoughts on the book too much.

Kate is her own person, not bothered by what the other kids are doing around her. Her main focus and preoccupation in life is her mother. She literally gives up her life just to tend to her mother. Their relationship is touching and she actually considers her mother to be her best friend. Henry, aka Hades, wasn't at all what I expected. In all the other retellings (and in the myth itself) they make Hades out to be this terrible guy but I really fell for Henry, right alongside Kate. He's sweet and does his best to protect Kate. The other characters each played prominent and important roles, that you discover as the book goes along.

There's a certain mystery to the book that Aimee Carter slipped in. Someone has been killing all of the previous girls Henry has chosen to take the place of Persephone and they have to find out who in order to protect Kate. While I figured it out before Kate, I was surprised by who the killer was. I also loved learning about the different gods, but I want to know more about their back story so I hope Aimee develops them more in the second book.

At the end of the book, I thoroughly enjoyed finding out the truth about each test Kate had to pass. Throughout the book I quickly discovered that nothing is as it seems and that kept me on my toes the entire time. Aimee Carter sticks to certain main points from the myth but adds her own twists and turns, which I was thankful for because if I wanted to read the same story, I would just read the original myth. I didn't think I would enjoy this one as much as I did but since reading this, I've already read one of the novellas and loved it. If you want a new, refreshing take on Greek mythology, I recommend you pick up The Goddess Test.

You can check out Tiffany's Review too!

Rating: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment