photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

February 4, 2013

Monthly Bookclub: Tiffany's Thoughts on The Goddess Test

The Goddess Test (Goddess Test, #1)EVERY GIRL WHO HAS TAKEN THE TEST HAS DIED.

NOW IT'S KATE'S TURN. 

It's always been just Kate and her mom--and her mother is dying. Her last wish? To move back to her childhood home. So Kate's going to start at a new school with no friends, no other family and the fear that her mother won't live past the fall.

Then she meets Henry. Dark. Tortured. And mesmerizing. He claims to be Hades, god of the Underworld--and if she accepts his bargain, he'll keep her mother alive while Kate tries to pass seven tests.

Kate is sure he's crazy--until she sees him bring a girl back from the dead. Now saving her mother seems crazily possible. If she suceeds, she'll become Henry's future bride and a goddess.

IF SHE FAILS...

Tiffany's Thoughts:

I've wanted to read The Goddess Test for a while now. I think I first saw it on my English teacher's bookshelf last year and I knew I had to read it. It sounded interesting (i.e. it's about Greek Mythology which I absolutely love) and Goodreads said it was good, but I never got around to reading it. When Audris suggested we read the same book a month and alternate who picks the book, I immediately thought of this book, and I'm so glad I did.

There were so many good things about this book, I don't even know where to start. Admittedly, it took me a few chapters to get into the book, but that might just be me, not the book. Once I read more though, and more characters were introduced, I fell in love.

The characters in this book were so great. Kate, the main character, has a strong personality, which is sometimes hard to find in YA. She stands up for herself and doesn't let herself be kept in the dark. She digs for answers, and tries her hardest to pass the tests, which include making difficult decisions that she makes flawlessly, nonetheless. I also loved that around Kate, gods and goddesses are in disguise, watching her, which makes it kind of intriguing because you don't know if they're prominent characters in her life, or just people she passed by and didn't really notice. Anyway, the characters rocked. Henry, who we know is Hades, had his heart broken by Persephone and he's suffered for a thousand years. Add on to that the fact that everyone who attempts to be his Queen, is murdered, he has a hard time opening up and accepting that someone wants to be with him. He's still a sweetheart to Kate, which makes him even more lovable... and makes me want to steal him from Kate. (;

Even though Kate and Henry were the main characters, everyone else was just as important. She has a strong relationship with her mom, which I admire. Kate is always talking to her, and taking advantage of the time they have left together. Kate's relationships with her friends at the manor are not so easy, however. A lot of things happen to Kate, but she still tries to find the good in people and handles everything a lot better than I ever could have.

Aimee Carter, the amazing author who brought this book to life, knows how to write. She paced the book nicely by not giving too much away all at once, and she gives a nice twist to Greek mythology. She keeps everything that's important in the stories, but sometimes gives them different endings or changes how a character was painted, making it something we haven't already heard before. She also sets the book in the quaint town of Eden, with a mysterious manor, full of possibilities.

All in all, I thought this book was an easy 5/5 stars. I definitely recommend it to lovers of Greek mythology and anyone wanting to read a book with a great ending and awesome people to meet along with Kate.

No comments:

Post a Comment