photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

October 10, 2013

Review: Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan

The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson and the Olympians, #2)Title: Sea of Monsters
Author: Rick Riordan
Publisher: Disney Hyperion Books
Release Date: April 1st, 2006
Source: Bought
Goodreads Summary:

The heroic son of Poseidon makes an action-packed comeback in the second must-read installment of Rick Riordan's amazing young readers series. Starring Percy Jackson, a "half blood" whose mother is human and whose father is the God of the Sea, Riordan's series combines cliffhanger adventure and Greek mythology lessons that results in true page-turners that get better with each installment. In this episode, The Sea of Monsters, Percy sets out to retrieve the Golden Fleece before his summer camp is destroyed, surpassing the first book's drama and setting the stage for more thrills to come.


I'm late on the bandwagon for these books but I'm enjoying the ride. In case you missed me gushing over The Lightning Thief, you can check out my review. There were so many things I loved about the first book and while I still adored the second one, I felt it lacked that magical hold the first one had.

We're introduced to some new characters like Tyson but while he was pertinent to the story, I didn't fall in love with his character like I did with the three main characters in the first book. Although, I was so happy to meet up with our old heroes and even began to feel attached to Clarisse. She was so snooty in The Lighting Thief but you can really see the character development and the fight within her, between following her instincts and following what her god of a father wants.

I thought the story line was missing something that the first book had. I just wasn't as involved in what Percy, Annabeth and Grover were going through as I would have liked, which is why it took me longer to finish. That said, I am still amazed with how Rick Riordan writes this world entwined with our real world. Every time he brings out a new element I'm in awe at how well he makes it work.

Learning about all the different myths is a huge plus with these books. I've always been interested in mythology and this just brings back that desire to learn. Sea of Monsters is an action packed adventure and I can't wait to pick up the next book, Titan's Curse.

Rating:
★ ★ ★ ★ 

No comments:

Post a Comment