photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

November 2, 2014

Review: The Day Before by Lisa Schroeder

Title: The Day Before

Author: Lisa Schroeder
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Source: Library book
Goodreads Summary:

One moment can change everything.

Amber's life is spinning out of control. All she wants is to turn up the volume on her iPod until all of the demands of family and friends fade away. So she sneaks off to the beach to spend a day by herself.

Then Amber meets Cade. Their attraction is instant, and Amber can tell he's also looking for an escape. Together they decide to share a perfect day: no pasts, no fears, no regrets.

The more time that Amber spends with Cade, the more she is drawn to him. And the more she's troubled by his darkness. Because Cade is not just living in the now; he's living each moment like it's his last.
 



Wow. This book is written in verse and books written in that format are so amazing and mind-blowing to me. It amazes me that authors can create such beautiful and heartbreaking stories that have me so invested using such a tiny amount of words. I was very excited to read this but it blew me away. 

This book is about Amber who goes off to the beach for a day to get away from her family and friends for the day. This day turns out to be much more eventful than she thought it would turn out to be. She meets a guy named Cade and decide to not share anything about their lives. They just want to have a great day and not think about their lives, fears, and everything that is upsetting them. 

I really loved the characters. It was so interesting to learn about them and their lives and everything they have been through in the small amount of time they have been living. I felt for them and I was wishing I could take away all of their fears and regrets and let them live happily and go on with their lives and leave all of these things behind them. Whenever I feel for a character or multiple characters, it is a sign that these were some very well developed characters that I could connect with. Also, these characters were far from perfect. They had tons of problems and hardships and they were flawed. I usually do not like books with "perfect" characters that have a perfect life and a perfect girlfriend or boyfriend. I like flawed characters. I feel like they have more depth and it gives lots more room for readers to connect to them. No one is perfect so how can anyone connect with a character who is perfect and has a perfect life? I loved how these characters had flaws. I think it made the book much more interesting and easier to relate to. 

Since this book is written in verse, it goes by very quickly and I miss the characters as soon as I close the book. I love the verse format because it is an interesting way to write a book and as I said earlier, it blows my mind that authors can create such great plots and characters with not many words at all. I also think that you have to be careful with verse books because some may seem way too choppy and can get annoying to some people. I felt like this one flowed wonderfully and it wasn't choppy in my opinion. 

Overall, I loved this book! I loved the characters, the plot, and the book was just written extremely well. This was my third book that I read by Lisa Schroeder and I believe I gave them all 5 stars. She is an amazing author that has a very wonderful talent. 

Rating: 

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ / 5 stars! 

1 comment:

  1. Books written in verse seem to be a bit of a hit and miss for me, but I've heard such amazing things about Lisa Schroeder and I have read one of her book's in the past, which I remember enjoying. Your review makes me tempted to go read more of her books! The verse format is sometimes perfect when you're not in the mood for a long read but still want something with substance.

    ReplyDelete