photo home_zpspjo8kmb0.png photo about us_zpsarf3yetn.png photo reviews_zpshqab7na7.png photo book recs_zpsdmrlfetg.png



.

November 18, 2014

Review: Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)
Title: Under the Never Sky 
Author: Veronica Rossi 
Publisher: Harper Collins 
Source: e-book  
Goodreads Summary: 
Since she'd been on the outside, she'd survived an Aether storm, she'd had a knife held to her throat, and she'd seen men murdered.
This was worse.
Exiled from her home, the enclosed city of Reverie, Aria knows her chances of surviving in the outer wasteland--known as The Death Shop--are slim. If the cannibals don't get her, the violent, electrified energy storms will. She's been taught that the very air she breathes can kill her. Then Aria meets an Outsider named Perry. He's wild--a savage--and her only hope of staying alive. 
A hunter for his tribe in a merciless landscape, Perry views Aria as sheltered and fragile--everything he would expect from a Dweller. But he needs Aria's help too; she alone holds the key to his redemption. Opposites in nearly every way, Aria and Perry must accept each other to survive. Their unlikely alliance forges a bond that will determine the fate of all who live under the never sky.



The first few chapters of Under the Never Sky were so hard to get through, not because I wasn't interested in the characters, but because nothing was truly happening. It was slow and steady for the first 70ish pages (I read an ebook so the page numbers are different), but once the two main characters, Aria and Perry, finally meet up the fun really starts. And by fun I mean the torturous trek these two have to endure. It was filled with action, friendship, and a little romance.

My favorite relationship in the book was actually not even a romantic one. I thought Roar, Perry's best friend, and Aria had the perfect friendship and I can't wait to see how it grows and changes in the following books.

The actual romance was great as well. The way it develops is how I would want my own romance to develop. It's slow and you actually see it grow from animosity to friendship and understanding and finally, to love. There is so much more to these characters than their love. They understand each other because they both developed as characters together. I have to say that Perry's character development is one of my favorites of all time. You can really appreciate it. The book is written in dual points of view so you're actually in Perry's head while his life is getting flipped upside down. It gives you an understanding and you can literally see him change before your eyes.

I want to touch on the world a little because it's so original. This world that Veronica Rossi creates is nothing I've ever read before. I can honestly say that it is unique in every way. From the aether storms, to the different supernatural abilities everything is unique. I like how Perry's world and Aria's are so unalike and the fact that I got to experience them from both of their perspectives was really helpful in understanding. The fractioning between the real world and the realms was beyond me though. I'm sure I would have felt like a fish out of water if I had to do that in our world.

Conclusion:
The last few chapters brought out so much emotion. There wasn't a slow moment with everything going on. I didn't even have time to catch my breath before the last two chapters completely destroyed me. This book was not at all what I was expecting and that's a good thing. There was so much to the world and I highly recommend giving this one a chance if you haven't read it yet (I'm probably the last person in the world to read it). I already bought the short story and have the sequel on my nightstand. It's time to marathon this series.

Rating: 

★ ★ ★ ★ ★  / 5 stars!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment